Monday, January 29, 2007

JRR Tolkein on rising from the ashes

I remember reading this poem somwhere; maybe in the book and thought this was a back handed approach to optimism. The kind I like, the kind that are made of surprises that I like to believe life hands out to us. JRR Tolkein not only knows how to spin a tale (many tales at the same time) but also how to handle a verse or two. It is not that I was in doubt, no I was just pleasantly surprised by where I dashed onto it. Its funny when you dont know what you might meet up with around a corner. The poem is almost like the phoenix rising from the ashes kinda message- my favorite analogy (phenomenon?). I am completely enamored by the rising from the ashes fact. Also it is curious that this bird is also identified by the astrological sign of Scorpio (which I am!). The fascination increases and hence this poem. I would like to hang on it for a while.

All That is Gold Does Not Glitter

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

No comments: